All You Need To Know About How To Write A Dissertation Literature Review
When trying to cope with a perfect dissertation, students most frequently forget about really crucial things. They pay attention to small details and forget about major facts that are noticeable immediately. Usually, we review lots of information about the required number of words, structure, formatting, and maybe some recommendations about the context.
The percentage of those bothered about the question: “how to write a dissertation literature review” is really small. If you are one of those people, you can be sure that you have higher chances for success than others. All you need to do is just review this article and follow all the major recommendations. These two simple steps will present you more professionally. So, let’s deep into this important topic.
Writing A Literature Review Dissertation – Professional Recommendations From The Experts
Most of us accept every new task as a challenge, even when there is nothing difficult about it. We are just hesitant and don’t have enough information about the process. The same is with writing any kind of review. Some even the most basic recommendations will make the writing process easier and more intuitive. To get real inspiration and motivation, you’d better read a couple of professional reviews, and that will be enough for the very beginning. Such a small step will show that you can also cope with this assignment.
In addition to checking a couple of good samples, here are several recommendations that definitely work:
- Quickly skim all the available materials and choose only those that are really relevant. Don’t try to get this deep understating of the simple article; you’d better review a couple of variants during the same period. Moreover, you’d better take some notes; otherwise, you will certainly miss something important while being in a hurry.
- You should be really picky about the resources that you are using. Don’t read any random article that you have somehow found online. If you don’t know what to start from, you’d better consult with the scientific adviser or just check the resources you plan to use. This will drastically help you with saving lots of time reviewing tons of useless data.
- The best possible recommendation, which probably can help in almost every situation, is – stay focused. Despite all the difficulties you face and challenges, it is highly important to concentrate on one specific task for at least 20 minutes. If you have coped with this, then for another 20 minutes, everything will go much easier and quicker.
- Dissertation lit review is not long writing. It is quite short and basic information that you share, but at the same time, it includes really important facts. Treat this task as a summary, and it will be much easier to deal with it.
Here were discussed only four basic recommendations from really professional writers, and you should not overwhelm yourself with every point. Just choose those pieces of advice that work better for you, and you will certainly cope with the literature review.
How To Write A Literature Review For Dissertation?
We understand that you are not a professional academic author, and no one expects you to be. You should just try to create this academic style by following certain recommendations. The first one is to instruct the readers with specific analytical information that you have been working on. Your task here is to demonstrate how familiar you are with a specific theme and used materials.
Sometimes the readers are well-informed on the specific topic, and bad literature will certainly influence their reaction to the writing. That’s why don’t forget to review all the resources according to their reliability.
Generally speaking, writing a literature review dissertation should be tightly correlated with the theme of your research. It may be easily done by interpreting the issues which are related to the theme.
To make your review look more professional, you’d better mention and discuss previous research and specify the gap you found in the data. Of course, it will take some time to structurally organize and clarify everything within a huge amount of information that you will find. However, this process is worth your time, and you will get much more in return than a perfectly completed review. You will get an experience which is hard to receive anywhere else.
Additional literature review tips for you to follow:
- Discuss the most fundamental material from your personal understanding of the theme. Don’t try to use any random resource that was mentioned somewhere;
- Specify the possibility of further academic research on the theme that you have chosen. If you could not see the further possible change, then you’d better consult with someone on this topic. Maybe you are just tired and overwhelmed with tons of information;
- Share the correlation between the chosen material and the topic of the research. As well as discuss the relationship of other fundamental works that you have not included;
- Contradictory ideas are a great choice for adding something special and unique to your project, especially if it has never been mentioned before.
How To Write A Literature Review Dissertation With An Ideal Content?
The best possible thing that you can do to complete an idea review is to logically and structurally share the needed information. The reader won’t waste time reviewing your text several times; everything should be clear right away. Here you need to remember the general requirements towards the citing style because it might also be a really destructing part for a reader to comprehend, especially if he/she is professional in this sphere and has some expectations before reviewing your text.
To make your review more comprehensive, you’d better divide it into several categories. It totally depends on your theme and the subject you are discussing. There might be several concepts as well, but don’t forget about logical division; it is highly important.
A perfect review should include at least a short explanation of the theory you are working on. Don’t get into details. Just a couple of informative sentences will be enough for your writing.
One more important step in writing is to think about a proper conclusion. There should not be anything extra special, just a summary of the gathered material. In addition to this, you can share the specific contribution which you have determined while working on this subject.
When specifying some sources in the review, you should better check the reliability of the chosen material, review the writer’s qualification, and probably the most important thing is to consider whether this specific work has a serious value in the discipline. Also, it is highly important to use proper phrases to have a smooth transition between the writers’ ideas you are using. There should be some sort of logical connection between them.
The Most Helpful Tips According To The Writing Process
Of course, each of us wants to know – how to write a literature review for dissertation in the most professional manner while still don’t waste lots of time on it. That’s why we’ve decided to collect really practical recommendations that will certainly surprise you with their functionality.
Here are some of them:
- Begin with the brief but at the same time informative introduction that will give your reader the basic understanding of the review’s topic. In addition to the specification of the theme, there is also a necessity to include the arguments. If you want to be more detailed in the introductory part, you also can discuss each argument in this section, but don’t go too extreme in the explanations;
- Write a brief summary of the evidence and arguments. Here you can also use cite phrases in case it is suitable for your content.
- Stick to a terse and formal writing style; it may be easily done just by avoiding usual colloquialisms and informal personal language. Shortness and a proper style are key to success when you know how to write a literature review for a dissertation.
- Don’t exclude those ideas with which you do not agree with. Sometimes without such controversial topics that you might consider unimportant, your work may look weaker and have fewer chances for academic success.
- Maybe it is the most obvious thing which can be recommended but avoids plagiarism in your work. Each used material should be properly referred to, and in such a way, you won’t have any troubles with the uniqueness of the content.
- Academic writing style is not the best form of expressing your individual understanding of the topic and sharing an emotional attitude in the specific area of studies. You’d better try to be as objective as possible and share your respectful attitude to the other point of view.
Step By Step Recommendations About The Final Check List Of The Review
Suppose you have attentively read all the above-discussed information about how to do a literature review for a dissertation. In that case, you most likely are prepared and could start working on this part without any hesitation. However, if you still have some bothering and you would like to get some additional information related to this theme, then here it is.
When choosing proper materials for the review, then you should answer the next questions:
- How relevant is the information in the chosen material?
- What was your major focus on while choosing the sources – primary or secondary materials?
- Have you specified the parameters of the review?
- Have you already checked the bibliographic?
- How recent are the materials which you are using?
- Have you specified and determined the purpose of your writing?
Various Opinions On The Proper Writing Of The Review
To be honest, this section of the writing is not considered to be the most challenging one. However, it might become rather controversial for those who have never worked on such projects and review totally different ideas about writing a literature review dissertation.
The controversial part of the writing of the review relates to a huge amount of available information. Usually, this section is written at the very beginning when you haven’t made any of your personal conclusions about the topic. You are just reading tons of information and trying to specify those relevant materials. Research, constant reading, and trying to analyze a new topic quickly is not the easiest task in any way.
When facing this initial step, many students try to find professional assistance and are just afraid to continue individual work on this project. Nevertheless, it is not the best scenario. Try to force yourself to do it, and you will quickly notice that there is nothing difficult or extremely serious.
On the other hand, some people actively recommend the online assistance of a professional writer. This is also a nice option to solve your problem if you couldn’t concentrate on writing and all your efforts are just a waste of time. If you are too overwhelmed with assignments and see no other way out, then there are lots of online services that offer professional assistance. You can choose anything there for a rather reasonable sum of money.
For instance, you may finish your review and only search for a professional proofreading service. Such assistance won’t be too expensive and will be easily completed in a matter of hours. Also, you can order an already completed review just by sending all the requirements to the professionals. And of course, you may delegate the entire completion of your dissertation, but it will certainly be more expensive than usual proofreading.
If you want to use such an online service, try to spend several hours reviewing users’ feedback and online assistance prices. Don’t choose a random platform without any feedback or a too cheap website. The quality of such writing may be various, so you’d better also confirm this information online.
To conclude, it doesn’t matter what choice you have made to write everything by yourself or order your literature review online. The only thing that matters is the quality of the final result, and we have discussed all the major recommendations about how to succeed with this task.